Released in 2008, Google Chrome has become one of the most widely used web browsers because of its crisp design and ease of use. Whenever a new feature or bug fixes are updated, Google Chrome has to undergo a series of intense testing. However, what if you want to try out these updated features before the general users? Just switch over to Chrome Canary!
Chrome Canary- An Introduction:
Google Chrome browser provides its users four release channels: Beta, Stable, Dev, and Canary. With the help of Canary, one of these release channels, Chrome aims at testers and developers to test these bugs and features. The main aim of these developers and testers are to report the issues and bugs so that Chrome can fix them quickly. Users cannot set the Canary version as their default browser since it is unstable. However, even though it can break down completely, developers might still want to use it.
Features of Chrome Canary:
Chrome Canary comes with some beneficial and exciting features! Let us take a look at it:
- Capping heavy data: whenever a web page is loaded, users are unaware of the data it will consume. After the ‘Heavy page capping’ feature is enabled, users will know whenever the page exceeds the limit. They can also stop the pictures and video from loading. Users can enable the ‘low’ feature, and the data consumed will be low as 1 MB.
- Customization of tabs: some users find the Chrome tabs and its positioning too dull. However, with the ‘New tab’ button, the tabs can be shifted to a new position, such as the left, right, or after the tabs. A button called ‘Single-tab mode’ with which a subtle fading effect will be added to the tab.
- Gamepad vibrations: certain browser games requires a game controller to play them. If you are a fan of rumbles, you can enable the controller’s rumble feature on Chrome by enabling the’ gamepad vibration’ option.
- Latest UI features: Canary enables users to access the latest chrome features. To use these new features, enable the ‘Use all upcoming UI features.’ By doing this, you will see all the future changes that will come in Chrome.
- Block downloads from insecure sites: the ‘Block unsafe downloads over insecure connections’ blocks downloads that can use insecure origins in the redirect chain.
Who should use Chrome Canary?
Chrome Canary is not suitable for everyone, as it is an unstable browser. So this might lead to users shifting to a different browser. Issues such as crashes, bugs, slowdowns, etc., might arise daily.
Hence, Canary is primarily meant for quality assurance testers, developers, and curious technical people! But if users want to help Chrome become even better, they can switch to canary to test its features and control the bugs. Once bugs are identified, users can report them to the bug testing wizard. Canary also allows its users to suggest new features.
Chrome Canary- Installation:
If you want to use Chrome Canary, you will have to install it separately on your android smartphone, Windows PC or Mac OS. This can be done without replacing or removing the stable version of Chrome. Here are the steps for downloading and installing Chrome Canary:
- Windows: download, install and run the latest version of chrome canary. Mostly the 64 bit version is desirable to users, and however, if you have an older PC, there is a 32 bit version.
Mac: users who use Apple’s Mac have to download the Mac version of Chrome Canary.
Android: if you want to install chrome canary on your android mobile, you will have to install it from the Google Play Store.
- After downloading the Canary application, Windows user can install it by confirming any available on-screen instructions. In contrast, Mac users will have to open the Finder application window and then drag the canary icon to the Applications folder.
- After the installation is complete, Canary can be accessed in the start menu of the Windows or the Mac’s Launchpad menu. In the same way, after installation, the icon appears in your android smartphone.
- After you click the canary icon, the Canary window will open, which is quite similar to Chrome’s stable version. After the browser opens, you can start testing it.
You can uninstall the canary version of your Chrome by going to the ‘uninstall programs’ from the ‘Settings’ in Windows. In Mac, you can go to the Finder app and then to Applications to remove the canary app.
How to enable the features and flags of Chrome Canary?
After you open the browser of Canary, some features are available while others are not. While some parts are activated automatically, you will need to start the chrome flags to use the other features. Here’s how to do it:
- Open a new browser window in Canary> Go to the address bar> To view the hidden flags menu, type: chrome://flags.After the Experiments menu loads, you will see various flags that you can disable or enable. In the Available tab, you will see all the available flags, their description, and use. You will also be able to see if they would be made available for future use.
- If you want to disable certain flags, you will have to restart chrome canary. You can either close the browser and restart it or click the Relaunch button.
Common issues in chrome canary:
Since Canary is an unstable chrome browser, there are various issues that you might encounter. Here are the most common issues to face in Canary:
- After disabling or enabling the flags, Canary no longer opens.
- In the Windows platform, Canary occasionally crashes.
If you love experimenting or are a developer, then Chrome Canary is the browser where you can carry all your activities. However, the best practice is to use canary side-by-side and the stable version of Chrome. In this way, you will be able to contribute your experience and reduce the bugs and crashes in the future release of Chrome.